Saturday, March 13, 2010

Secrets...

First of all.. can you believe that I am doing another post? Im really on top of things lately.. or maybe I'm am just looking at all of the kids rooms and searching for the computer to help me escape to another world..far away from peed beds, Rice Chex crusted to the countertops and a triple stack of laundry... ahhh... yes, I am starting to remember this blogging thing :) I think I will kick my running shoes off and stay awhile...or at least until I have to break up the next WWF fight between Marcus and Vanessa (for a 2 year old Marcus can KO like he was Hulk Hulgans kid...um did I just say that?)

OKAY... back to my title... SECRETS...

For some of you it might be a secret but for those of you that are out of my daily loop you might not know...

My parents and their friends started a company. Its called "Share the Secret". I know, I know...it leaves you wandering just what "THE SECRET" is. I got involved way back when Elise was 2 or 3 and I was hyper-active (she was my first) about teaching her how to read. My mom and her friend had developed books that had sandpaper and felt letters, prompts to tell the parent exactly what to say and do and high frequency words (words they will need to know in Kindergarten). The methods used are the most up to date reasearched methods that are used when a child has to be pulled out of class because they are struggling readers. They developed them out of frustration that there wasnt more of a link between the parents and the schools on educating the parents of these researched methods. I was excited because I used them with Elise and she caught on SO quickly. She was reading whole sentances and writing whole sentances before Kindergarten...even lowercase!!! wowsers huh? Well, as the years passed on the company started, books were professionaly printed and now they are in almost every school district in Utah!!!...and now into California, Virginia..and most certainly more of the wonderful 50 states. The most appealing thing and what all educators that I have talked to say is that they have never found one resourse with all the researched methods combined. This is the company niche. And I love it!! They asked me to be their rep at conferences around the nation so this means I go out of town for one weekend a month to 'represent. The company is growing and new editions and products are on the horizon.

These Alphabet books are really great for a preschooler or a Kindergartner. Luke, Princess and KO even write their lowercase letters on the shower door...with perfect directionality (I threw that one in there for all of you educators). The good news is that they are giving away one free set for St. Patricks day! All you have to do is comment on the Share the Secret blog.

Normally the whole alphabet set runs 40.00 but I am special enough that I can get you a deal if you are interested in buying them. Just let me know.

So there is my big secret.

If you are in my ward and notice that Vanessa has a Christmas dress on and its the middle of July or if Elise wears the same pants twice in a row to school, or if my house smells like oil because Nate has made homemade french fries for Breakfast, Lunch and dinner for 3 days in a row it's probably because I am out of town on these little ventures...which actually has been therapy for me through the winter months. As you all know how I can get very STORMY (okay, okay... depressed, there I said it) in the cold of cold, and the dark of dark of winter. One day I swear we are moving to St. George or somewhere that snow is not the norm and the sun comes out in all seasons.

Well, I better go, I am starting to smell my pits from my workout...that's never a good thing.

2 comments:

Mathie Fam said...

haha.. your pits! You should also mention that kids love the books. Mckenna really loves her books. We sit down and "practice" almost everyday. She is just starting to read the words on her own and is so proud of herself! They work well for Kayla as well because she is just learning letter recognition and to form letters. I am planning on giving a set to Kenna's pre-k teacher when I go to parent teacher conferences next week.

Amber said...

Fabulous girl! Love that your mom did that, why haven't I heard of this before now??? :) I will try to win on your favorite holiday, but if I don't can you hook me up? Halle could use a little nudge.
XOXOXOX kisses
love me